Tuesday, November 30, 2021

The Brush Book Joe Morello Never Wrote

We can complain about algorithms all we want, but they often find interesting things for us.  Because of the videos in the last post about Mel Brown playing through Brush Artistry YouTube recommended to me a series of videos by Jon Hazilla, who I'm not familiar with, but apparently teaches at Berklee.

Jon studied with Joe Morello, and later developed his own approach to Master Studies using brushes to develop facility with lateral strokes.

I've been revisiting Master Studies lately myself (with sticks, that is), so I think I'll be giving this a try soon.

1 comment:

  1. I believe Jon studied with Mel Brown as well. He credits Mel in the Acknowledgements section of his book.

    I read a quote from Leroy Vinnegar once who said that when Mel was living in New York some people referred to him as the "Fuller Brush Man" because of his skills with the brushes!

    ReplyDelete