Friday, February 19, 2021

Dig This - Chick Corea and early Return to Forever, Live

Despite being supremely bummed out about it, I didn't post anything last week when Chick Corea passed.  There wasn't much I could say that hadn't been said already.

The only good thing to come out of the loss has been the past week being absolutely filled with people posting Chick's music everywhere.  A particular one that jumped out at me was this live video of a very early incarnation of Return to Forever.  It's basically the first version of the band with Chick, Stanley Clarke, Joe Farrell, and Airto.  Flora Purim is missing, though, and Bill Tragesser is on percussion behind a young Airto that we get to see on kit rather than his usual percussion setup.  Those first two albums are my favorite version of the band, and some of my favorite Chick material period.

No comments:

Post a Comment